Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Chayote


I almost forgot to blog about my Chayote adventure.

I'd heard the peeps over at LowCarbFriends Forum talking about Chayotes.

A Chayote is an edible plant that belongs to the gourd family "Cucurbitaceae" along with melons, cucumbers and squash.

My Mom was nice enough to buy me one at her grocery store (my Shaw's is not very adventurous in the produce area.) So last night I decided to try it out!

I'd heard, that it was quite good, if cooked in a pan as if it were apples.
I peeled the skin off, cut it in half, removed the seed, and cubed it up. I cooked it in a pan with butter, splenda, lemon juice, and apple pie spices.

When all was said and done, I had something similar to apple pie filling. But it was definitely more squash-like. It was tasty, but not amazing.

The bites I tasted while raw though, were much more pleasing. Very similar, if not identical to a jicama. Very crisp, watery, and mild.

I'm looking forward to getting more, but I will find some ways to just eat them uncooked.

One whole medium sized Chayote is approximately 6g net carbs (7g carbs, 1g fiber)

0 refreshing comments: