Monday, October 13, 2008

Please pass the salad, and the shame.

So, I am going to continue on this week at my 30g a day goal. But I am going to count them very carefully, and not go over 30g. I'll use spark people until I can get used to eating 30g.

So, I had my first run-in with feeling like a low-carb asshole. I had dinner with my Mom, Grammie, and Grammie's sisters. Take a guess at what sweet Aunt Florence made for all of us? That's right. Spaghetti, meatballs, warm rolls, brownies, and iced cream! And sweet homemade wine.

Fearing that would happen, I tried to be prepared and I brought a big salad, and my own dressing, just in case. Well, unfortunately, we were all so proper, and ate our salad out of tiny little salad bowls before the main course. This means I had to sit, awkwardly, in front of my empty plate. I did eat a couple meatballs, but it was still pretty obvious. Aunt Florence spied my plate a couple times, but was polite and did not make a comment.

I am SURE that I cared more than anyone else did. But how could I not help but feel like a total, unappreciative jerk?

Oh well. It's over with now.

4 refreshing comments:

Lori said...

You know, you were there for the company, not the food. That doesn't make you a jerk.
It is hard to stick to your guns, but you did a great job!

Chai Latté said...

Thank you :-)

There is nothing that can make willingly eat spaghetti and bread... so, at least my will was unshaken.

I just absolutely HATE to disrespect people. Especially sweet old people! hehe

But yah, I still feel better than if I'd had eaten it.

Unknown said...

You did good. Maybe next time take some (super soaked) miracle noodles and scoop the goop onto those! :D

Yeah, but I don't get the impression you knew what it was ahead of time. You're doing good. Maybe next time she'll make something you can eat too! :D

Anonymous said...

Poor Shannon :-(... Not to worry, I think you handled yourself just fine. I was ready however to join you in sliding under the table... when... you politely refused the brownies and ice cream... and... your dear Grammie screamed "BUT how can you LIVE!!!" (gotta love the old ladies) (chuckle)