Friday, May 21, 2010

Cycling the cycle

Now, clearly I need reevaluate my plan since it doesn't seem to be working anymore. 

Asking around, I've gotten a lot of advice... everything from 24 hour fasts to stopping all exercise. I've been told an all egg & kale diet would be ideal for me, and that perhaps I should just try the lap-band or a medically distributed all-liquid diet. 
While that all sounds great.... (or not) I'm going to just try to think about what might really work for me. 

Now, I have lost 50lbs. Therefore... something causes my body to release fat.  I keep hoping to find that perfect diet/work out regimen that works to lose the weight and is manageable for life. 
I am starting to think that it might not exist. Let's review the only thing I do know : 
CHANGE makes my body release fat. 

If I am eating  a 1,300 calorie a day diet for a month, and for one week I go bonkers and eat everything in sight... I will lose 3 or 4lbs. 

Basically, any time I make a drastic change to my diet, good-or-bad, I tend to see a loss. 
The problem with this, is that I don't want to "yo-yo" diet. I don't want to switch my eating habits every few weeks. It's complicated, and it doesn't seem totally healthy. It also doesn't bode well for a transition into maintenance.

The calorie cycling is totally geared toward this "change is good" theory and, like all other changes.. it worked for me really well.... for the first few weeks. 
And then, my body even got used to the cycling. (You are a stupid, stupid body, you know that?)

My new plan is to cycle the calorie cycling. You follow?
Previously, my plan was eating 12,500 calories per week. Cycled from 1,500 on the lowest days up to 2,100 on the highest day.
This week, I am cutting down to 10,500 calories per week. Ranging from 1,200 to 1,900. 
I will do this lower cycle for 2 weeks, then go back to to the higher cycle, and so on and so on. 
We'll see how it goes! I'm not convinced that it will be a big enough change to fool my body, but it's worth a try!


0 refreshing comments: