Friday, September 5, 2008

That defining moment myth.

I've been fat my whole life... and I've been trying to lose weight my whole life. Every time I started a new diet I thought it was IT! I thought something clicked, and it would just work *this time*.

But every time was a *this time*, and I always gained it back.

Right now, I am on a low-carb diet, and it's working. It clicked for me.
Eating low carb has nearly cured my obsessive overeating (binging). And I am in the process of resigning myself to living this way for the rest of my life. I am coming to terms with never having bread or sugar again. And I am OK with it :-)

I remember I was out to dinner with one of my best friends who is also overweight. And she said something very simple that resonated with me.
All she said was - "Shannon, seriously, we are too old and too smart to be this fat"

God, she was right. If I had done something about this problem when I first started to have it... 1/4 of my life wouldn't have been wasted hating myself for the body I have. I LOVE my life, and I have nothing to complain about, but I still feel like I completely wasted a HUGE chunk of it, by being a huge chunk myself.

I just want to say, don't wait for that defining moment that gets you going. I think it's a myth. :-) I think you need to clearly determine that THIS is what you want. And do it for yourself.

Make a list of all the reasons you want to lose weight. Read it constantly. Figure out what gets you most riled up and use it to your advantage.

I was grocery shopping recently, and I saw a girl I went to high school with.
She looked just as thin and pretty as she did then. (Even with a newborn baby in her carriage) I walked to my car and I was SO pissed. I wished I had lost the weight sooner so SHE was the one jealous of me.

Maybe that makes me a bad person? Who cares, it totally got me motivated to work harder. Use what you got to help you along.

1 refreshing comments:

Patty said...

I agree Chai -- waiting for that "defining moment" is futile. BTW, I love your friend's comment....I am too old and too smart to be this fat!

http://lowcarbpatty.blogspot.com/