Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Low Carb Lemon Cake recipe

As requested, here is the recipe for that cake I made for my birthday!
I ended up not finding soy flour anywhere, so I used almond flour. It was good, but I have a feeling it would be a little better, and a little prettier with the soy.


LOW CARB LEMON CAKE

10 Servings at 7 net carbs each.


Cake Ingredients (47.7 net carbs):

2 sticks butter
5 eggs
1 1/2 c. sugar equiv. *
1 T. vanilla extract
1 t. lemon extract
2 c. soy flour
4 t. baking powder
1 c. Hood Calorie Countdown Dairy **
1/4 c. vegetable oil
4 T lemon juice


Cake Instructions:

1. Extract 4 T. lemon juice for batter.
2. Beat butter. Add eggs and splenda. Beat in remaining ingredients.
3. Coat cake or loaf pan in cooking spray.
4. Add batter to 2 nine inch cake pans.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes until toothpick comes out clean.




Frosting Ingredients (21.3 net carbs):

8 oz. cream cheese
1 t. lemon extract
2 c. heavy whipping cream
1 c. sugar equivalent.***






Frosting Instructions:

1. This frosting is easiest to make if you have a whisk attachment for your mixer. Whisk softened cream cheese until light and creamy.
2. Add lemon zest, heavy whipping cream, and sweetener and whisk until light, fluffy, and thick.
3. Once cake is completely cool, spread frosting.

*She used 36 drops of Sweetzfree. If you use a splenda quick pack, add 4 carbs to the entire recipe. If you use 1 cup of granular splenda, add 24 carbs.

**If substituting half and half, add 7 carbs.

***She used 24 drops of sweetzfree. If you use a splenda quickpack, add 4 carbs to the entire recipe. If you use 1 cup of granular splenda, add 24 carbs.

(I wish I could remember where I stole this recipe from, I'd love to give credit where it's due! If I find out, I promise to update this!)

0 refreshing comments: